Description

"I feel that there is nothing more truly artistic than to love people."
-Vincent Van Gogh

Top Image

Beauty Is Embarrassing

Posted on: Monday, July 1, 2013





First off, (above) was just a trailer of Beauty Is Embarrassing. I couldn't find another source with an embed code that played the full film. However, I did stumble upon this link here, where you can watch the full documentary online. 

Several people had recommended this to me before I finally watched it on Netflix last night. The film focuses on multimedia artist, Wayne White and sweetly includes his artist wife and kids. I really like this guys honesty and discoveries through failure. He is very funny and entertaining, and true to form as any comedic genius, he has a very realistic outlook on death. I wont give the movie away but, Wayne White is hard working, very accomplished and has a lot to say. In fact, it's not until almost the very end of the movie where Wayne finally touches on his idea that "beauty is embarrassing." 

Of course, I, being a sucker for revealing documentaries and human truths, loved it. I obviously don't agree with what Wayne White says about most things, but I do whole heartedly agree that beauty is, in fact, embarrassing... from the worlds perspective. If you believe that God is the originator of true beauty, then as an artist, when you create it or come upon it, you see it with the eyes that you were created to see "true beauty" through, and every time it is humbling. Being humbled is not comfortable, but oh man, is it important. I think artists are blessed to see or interpret certain parts of the spirit more easily. We get captivated by the wonder and beauty of God's creation whether it's in ourselves or found in others or in nature, artists translate it or point in out to the world even when they don't intend to or exactly know the source. 
Just as the rest of God's children, Artists do have purpose. I don't think it's a coincidence that for centuries all artist's instinct is to fight the world's disapproval. It is the world who says that art is a waist of time. I think, that instinct, that feeling that art, that beauty is a necessity, comes from the Lord. I believe, only a divine creator could love us so much to equip our hearts with the tools necessary to not only glorify Him, but to also, design us to fight for what we were given, in order to glorify him more. So, take heart creative people who are like me, who continually feel inadequate or out of place, we were designed to be who we are. We were designed to share the beauty that we seek and the beauty that we find. It's important that we do.     


1 Corinthians 12 (NIV)

12 Just as a body, though one, has many parts, but all its many parts form one body, so it is with Christ. 13 For we were all baptized by[c] one Spirit so as to form one body—whether Jews or Gentiles, slave or free—and we were all given the one Spirit to drink. 14 Even so the body is not made up of one part but of many.

15 Now if the foot should say, “Because I am not a hand, I do not belong to the body,” it would not for that reason stop being part of the body. 16 And if the ear should say, “Because I am not an eye, I do not belong to the body,” it would not for that reason stop being part of the body. 17 If the whole body were an eye, where would the sense of hearing be? If the whole body were an ear, where would the sense of smell be? 18 But in fact God has placed the parts in the body, every one of them, just as he wanted them to be. 19 If they were all one part, where would the body be? 20 As it is, there are many parts, but one body.



0 comments:

Post a Comment

mandasophia All rights reserved © Blog Milk Powered by Blogger